Saturday, December 14, 2013

Great Laws - Ice Missles

Connecticut has a new law going into effect at the end of the month, that is already in place in many states, and which needs to spread to all locales.

The law is against "Ice Missiles". 

Ice Missiles are what happens when you don't clean the snow properly off the top of your car, and then go for a drive, shooting snow and ice off the top of your car, onto other cars around you, or passerby's.

http://ctboom.com/12-31-13-new-ice-missile-law-goes-effect-connecticut-drivers/

True story: I know people who have died from ice missiles. As another car stopped, the ice shot off the roof, and through their windshield, killing them.

So take the extra few minutes and clean all the snow off your car, even if your state doesn't have the law.

7 comments:

  1. We have that in NJ. I am barely tall enough to clean off the top of my regular minivan. If I drove a Suburban I couldn't clean the top at all. I try my best because I don't want to get a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to use the running bar to reach the top of my car. And made sure to buy a brush with a long stick, so I could reach even further. #ShortPeopleProblems

      Delete
  2. I'm not against the law, but this seems like one more law that's sole purpose is to contribute to the city's coffers. I'm not saying people shouldn't be careful, but writing laws to minimize car accidents in general sounds like a better idea than this. Should we also make laws that how fast one can drive when there are puddles on the road? There are people who have been in accidents because their windshields got dumped in a pool by a car driving past through a puddle. I don't know the statistics, but freak accidents will always occur. This, to me, sounds like one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a freak accident. My windshield got hit by one of these a couple days after I posted this.
      I was going 55 on the highway, and in slow-mo I saw it fly off another car and then slam into my windshield.
      Thank God windshields are built to last, because that was solid ice at high speeds.

      Delete
    2. Freak accidents don't mean they never happen- it means they don't happen terribly often. You didn't have an accident thank God, so you can't include it.

      PS. Who goes 55 on a highway???

      Delete
    3. I don't know where you live, but unfortunately, the local highways in New York have speed limits in the 45-55mph range.

      Delete
    4. I know what the speed limit is, just surprised to hear that there's a person on the planet below the age of 60 who actually abides by it :-)

      Delete

Please comment. The minds wonder what you're thinking...