Friday, May 25, 2012

Without Due Reasoning

I got that text/email again yesterday, you know which one I mean: "PLZ FWD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS: Sign this petition for _____ ______ and send it to everyone you know!!!!"


So, I responded as I always do: "What is the petition for, and why should I sign it?"


And 99% of the time, they answer the same way: "Well, my friend sent it to me, so I clicked it, and then I sent it to you."

So you don't actually know what you are signing?



You are doing it simply because your friends are doing it?


This explains why so many people do drugs, drink and drive, have premarital sex, and eat Twinkies.


Because people are stupid and will do anything someone tells them to, without actually thinking about what they are doing.


Now, I'm sure that the petitions going around these days are for great causes. Whether they are to free prisoners in foreign countries or to save Trader Joe's Chocolate Chips, if you don't know what it is you are signing for, and what the reasoning behind the motion is, then I beg of you, don't sign it.


And sure as hell don't forward it to me unless you have all the details and are ready to tell me why I should be signing it too.

1 comment:

  1. What i hate is when they say "if you dont forward this you seriously dont have a heart." really? And by liking a picture on Facebook of a sad sick boy or forwarding an email of someone asking for money means that i do have a heart? Its a stupid thoughtless thing to say. And a lame guilt tactic to get people to forward things. Which for me has the opposite affect.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. The minds wonder what you're thinking...