Thursday, August 29, 2013

Morality vs. Punishment

Heads up, this post contains sports, but is more about morality.

Pete Rose is one of the All-Time greatest baseball players, leading the league in Hits, Games Played, At-bats and Outs. Add to that 3 World Series and batting titles, plus an MVP Award, 2 Gold Gloves and Rookie of the Year Awards, and 17 All-Star Games, his stats are hard to beat.

But for those that don't know him, their is a catch.

Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame. And if the league has their way, he never will be.

He is banned because he gambled on the game of baseball, including 52 games that he played in, in 1987, with minimum bets between 2K and 10K per day.

In a recent interview, Mr. Rose made a valid point, saying:

I made mistakes. I can't whine about it. I'm the one that messed up and I'm paying the consequences. And to be honest, I picked the wrong vice. I should have picked alcohol. I should have picked drugs or I should have picked up beating up my wife or girlfriend because if you do those three, you get a second chance.

He is 100% right.

He did an act that was wrong. And they didn't give him a second chance for it.

Others have done things even worse, and miss 7- 50- or 100- games, and then come back and continue playing.

The times have come to open the doors of Cooperstown for the great Charlie Hustle.

Mr. Selig, your last season as commissioner of Major Leage Baseball is next year, 2014. As a final act, grant Pete Rose admission into the Hall of Fame, which would be well deserved, as his outstanding stats were clearly not influenced by his actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. The minds wonder what you're thinking...